As a person that comes from a background of both Science and Drama, questioning Inclusive Education is not an option. In Science, we study the principles that tie all life to a single common ancestor, and in Drama it is our purpose to explore human connection. The theme in both cases is unity. As a global citizen, and an advocate for the First Peoples’ Principles of Learning, I believe everyone on this planet has the right to an equitable educational experience. We are all just beings that are looking for acceptance, validation, and get up everyday with the intention of doing our best.

Though I know I have a long way to go in this area, I am proud of the relationships I have built with my learners in all of my practicums. I do not treat my learners with exceptionalities like they are “different”, but I do try to give them what they need to succeed. This is unique for each learner and cannot be encompassed with a blanket statement. Some progress I have made in this area includes:

Inclusive language

• Simply asking preferred pronouns, and following through with those pronouns provides learners with a greater sense of safety and belonging
  • However, it is not so simple when engaging with parents sometimes – this requires more conversation with your learners in an effort to respect their identity, relationships, and privacy
  • For this reason, I have written some report cards excluding pronouns in and effort to respect the learner, and their relationships with certain adults in their life

Exploring identity

• Providing opportunities for learners to explore who they are

Cultural awareness

• Having discussions about cultural appropriation and appreciation

Adapting and Modifying curriculum