Global Citizenship.

https://takeactionmanitoba.org/tag/global-citizenship/

The most important focus for me both as an educator and a learner is global citizenship. I believe we are all a part of one big community, and our actions and beliefs should reflect as such. As a learner, I am constantly pushing myself to connect to the bigger picture. I see the world as interconnected, as a spiderweb in which one action can have a large impact on many other parts of life – not only your own, but other’s as well. I would like my teaching to reflect these views, and I believe I am on that path. Some of my favourite projects and assignments which foster global citizenship can be viewed here.

We are so much stronger when we pool our knowledge, share our cultures and our ideas. I always encourage learners to work with a partner or in groups, and I push them to think within the framework: WHAT? And SO WHAT? What we are learning are our curricular competencies and content – this is important because it will support our understanding of SO WHAT? – How does this learning connect us to both the local and global community: How do my actions and beliefs impact my community, and possibly even the world? The real goal here is to become a kind person who can make informed and compassionate decisions in an increasingly complex world. This idea motivates me to learn and to share my learning with my own students – the more we know about everything, the better informed we are to make choices that are rooted in empathy and that understand the natural world.